About Vigilante Group of Nigeria
The Vigilante as you all know is a grassroots-based community associations whose main aim is to secure lives and property and any service that the community might request for its development and prevention of calamities. Vigilante Group of Nigeria started from village, wards, Local Governments, and State Groups and later merged at the Federal level for more effective planning and execution of our activities in securing lives and property.
The Establishment of the Vigilante Group of Nigeria could be traced to the year 1870, it was established to put an end to the rising wave of criminal activities by complementing the efforts of security agencies. All sorts of vices ranging from murder, rape, theft, etc were being perpetrated wantonly. Consequently, elders in Nigeria thought it necessary that civil defence organization should be reinstated. Thereafter the Vigilante Group of Nigeria was established to assist the Nigeria Police to protect lives and properties and prevent crimes. Therefore, we the entire members have irrespective of our religious tribal and ethnic differences firmly resolved to established the Vigilante Group of Nigeria to assist the police to combat crime and to maintain law and order. AND SO WE HEREBY DO give to ourselves the following constitution. Vigilante Group of Nigeria started from village, wards, Local Governments, and State Groups and later merged at the Federal level for more effective planning and execution of our activities in securing lives and property.
- To assist the police and other law enforcement agencies to curb crime
- To protect and preserve public property
- Assist the Police in crowd control and maintenance of peace at public functions where the need arises.
- With the clearance of the Police, assist public agencies in the protection of their establishment plants and equipment
- To give information to the police and other security agencies of criminals or wanted persons residing in the ward or Local Government
- To locate the permanent or temporary residences or receivers of stolen properties and 419 practitioners for the purposes of enabling the police to arrest or monitor their activities.
- To make positive and useful contribution to the advancement, progress and well-being of the community by mobilizing and assisting in communal development efforts.
- To abide by the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and all relevant laws and bye-laws.
The mission of the Group is "to help secure a safe and just society in which the rights and responsibilities of individuals, families and communities are properly safeguarded".